What No One Ever Told You About Working In The Fashion Industry
As some of you may or may not know, ever since I got out of college I have worked in design for a global fashion company that we like to call RL (if that's not a big hint for you, I don't know what is).
I learned a lot working in the fashion industry not only in fashion itself, but also lessons that I will carry with me throughout life.
|Right before our Pink Pony Walk|
As with any career you take the good with the bad and if it is a career that you are super passionate about, the good usually out weighs the bad.
Today we are talking lessons, lessons I have learned with my career in fashion and what no one has ever told you about working in the fashion industry.
1. Being skilled in multiple areas is a must- It's not only about picking out what colors you like best or what patterns work with a certain look. You need to know about the business end, how consumers look at your work, what they expect, and what they want and need. You need to know how a garment is made and know if your ideas will work in a technical sense. It's like what people call in the entertainment industry a "triple threat." These days the most successful people are the ones who "know everything" so being proficient in what you do is a must.
2. It's not as glamorous as you may think- The fashion industry is a business that needs a ridiculous amount of focus and drive. Just like any business that will succeed you are going to put in long hours and reach points where you may want to pull your hair out and you are running around like a crazy lady...just ask anyone in the industry.
3. It's not a place for people who can't take criticism - You must be able to take criticism. You will get it at work and you will certainly get it from the public. If your company is in the public eye and a world wide brand there is no doubt the public is going to have things to say about it. Whether its good or bad you just need to be able to pick yourself up and take what is said and learn from that for the future.
4. The hard work and long days result in an amazing end result- Yeah the days are long, crazy, and hectic, but when you put your best into your work the end result is usually the best too and its pretty darn cool to see the product of your work and have the world see it too.
5. Being a problem solver is key- There is no time to focus on the problem....the problem was suppose to be handled "yesterday!" Rather than focusing on the problem you must focus on the solution. You must be able to think on your toes and come up with a fast and effective solution to any problem in no time flat. Being a problem solver is key and anyone in the industry will tell you that.
6. You HAVE TO be a team player- A successful fashion company is created and maintained by having a number of employees working together for a common goal. You must all be aware of the goal at hand and figure out together how you are going to achieve that goal. If you can't play nice together and communicate putting any differences that you may have with someone aside, be prepared for a lot of unneeded and unwanted headache and stress...and there is no time for that if you want to be successful.
Any other questions you have about the industry let me know and I will be happy to answer them.
P.S. Don't forget to enter our contest on yesterday's post for a free gift!