6 Ways To Get What You Want From Your Career
The dictionary defines career as follows:
Note its definition states "with opportunity to progress." How are you suppose to progress though if you don't know what you are progressing towards, or how to even start progressing for that matter? Well that's what we are here for today! To help you get what you want from your career and move forward towards success!
Follow these 6 steps to get you on the right track.
1. Know what you want- This may sound like an obvious tip but you would be surprised to learn how many people don't know what they want from their career, or life in general. Take some time to sit down and really think about what it is that you want, what do you want to achieve? What is it that you want to work towards?
2. Make a list of long and short term goals- Start out jotting down your long term goals, what you want as a result of your work in the long run. Next make a list of your short term goals, how you are going to reach those long term goals in a specific amount of given time.
3. Research- Research people and businesses who have achieved similar goals as the ones you have set for yourself. Read up on what struggles they had and how they got to where they are so that you are prepared and know what obstacles may lie in your path or maybe even how to avoid those obstacles and learn from their mistakes.
4. Network- Everyone that I have spoken to when they ask me what is the most important thing to keep in mind in the career that I have, I always say networking is a top priority. No matter what your career choice may be, networking will always help you in ways you may have never realized when you made that initial connection. Even if the person that you are networking with isn't directly related to your field, always keep that line of communication open. Give them your business card! You never know who they may know and you never know how you may be able to possibly help each other out in some way down the line. Which brings me to my next point.....
5. Create a networking/business card- These are always very important to have handy. Keep them in your purse, your wallet, and even in your car. You never know when opportunity will present itself. The last thing that you want is to be stuck in a great networking opportunity empty handed. Also make sure your cards are professional and represent you well. This is how people will remember"your brand."
6. Be confident- You know the saying "fake it till you make it?" Even if inside you are not feeling as confident as you would like, don't let others see that. Put on those big girl panties and give yourself a pep talk while you listen to some kick ass music to get yourself pumped up about your task and most importantly...YOURSELF! If you don''t believe in yourself, why and how should anyone else?
Now go out there and get it gurl...and boy!
Which of these tips do you find most helpful? What are some tips you have for getting what you want from your career?